Sunday, December 31, 2023

Happy New Year from Cookman Corner

 Well, that's it, then - another year over. Or rather, another astronomical cycle finished. I'm still not sure why it is assumed that things will miraculously change because the earth is beginning another perambulation. The  conservatives will still be money obsessed racists, landlords (some them) will still fleece their tenants, people will still turn to petty crime because they need money for food. And the various sections of society will continue to berate and blame the others.

I have recently experienced this on social media, where a fellow author I have known for some time (actually in Real Life, when we still did that) accused "your generation" of all the ills the Tory government had bestowed on us. It was incredibly and offensively personal and I was thoroughly shocked. I think by now my beliefs are fairly well known by my friends and followers, and I resent being tarred with the same brush as those who actually did vote the bastards into power. I know a lot people of my own advanced age, and none of us did, but of course, as my children tell me, social media - and real life friendship groups, come to that - are echo chambers. But this sort of mass blame strikes me as very similar to a racist attitude. And probably comes from those who assert, in a shocked voice "I'm not racist!" Yes, you know a couple of them, don't you?

And I'm still suffering from the inability of the publishing industry to stuff Mr Osman into the correct box - the one the rest of us traditional crime writers are in. As another fellow author said to me recently, "You've been doing exactly what he does for years." (He actually added "And Better" but I'd better not say that.) So as far as I'm concerned, this "New Year" is going to be nothing to write home about, just more, and probably worse, of the same.

I hope anyone reading this will feel more cheerful about things than I do, and if you're celebrating tonight, have a good one. If anyone is going to see those of my offspring who will be performing to "see the New Year in", you will have a good one, I can guarantee. And at some point in the next couple of months, this blog will undergo a transformation into a family report - you've guessed it - called Cookman Corner. Shameless promotion for all of us, of course. So see you then -OK?




7 comments:

Suzanne Barton said...

Hope next year is actually much better for you Lesley!! I would feel equally resentful of that comment, I didn't vote them into power either and there are not many people 'of my generation ' that did (or would admit to it).
I too, prefer your books to Osman's, for me they are more character driven and more consistent to those characters, and that's what I like about all books, not just murder mysteries. Aside from that, 'celebrities' should not get priority of promotion in the world of books. Being famous does not make them any more likely to write a good story! Please be assured that you have a really loyal group of followers who LOVE your work!!! Have a happy and peaceful new year

Liz Fielding said...

You're saying exactly what a lot of us are feeling, Lesley. And I also resent being blamed for the mess we're in since I didn't vote for any of it. However, I'm sending all my ver best wishes to the musical offspring who will be performing tonight and to you, for a productive, healthy and word-filled new year. Maybe your next victim should be a... No, better no say it.

Lesley Cookman said...

Thank you, Suzanne and Liz!

Sheila said...

Well I have to admit I pretty much agree with everything you said! And for the record I have read all of your books and none of Mr Osman’s. So I wish you a Happy New Year from an exceedingly chilly N E Scotland ��

Anonymous said...

Same mess I'm the US. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Same here.... all of Libby none of the other chaps!

David Dominic Goodwin said...

Watcha honey, happy new year love, let’s hope that 2024 surprises us all and becomes a cracker of a year! The most important thing is to get rid of this rotten bunch of shysters asap. They are a complete embarrassment, who hit a new low with the re emergence of Cameron. Now I’m going to be provocative! I quite like Richard Osman’s books. They’re interesting snapshots and quite fun. However they’re also smug, the villains are pantoesque and they don’t deserve the reviews they’ve had. My friend LC is better! In fact while I was at Castle Howard wearing the red suit through December I took a couple of older LS books with me, Murder Imperfect is superb! We must meet up this coming year! Lots of love chum xx